There has been a school at Stone Bank for over 150 years. The first school was a one-room log cabin with an open fireplace. In 1852, a frame school was built. It was so cold in winter that often the inkwells froze as well as the children's lunches. In 1871, a one-room brick building was built.
The one-room building had many large windows and two west doors. It was heated by a large box stove which the teacher had to stoke with large blocks of wood. There were double desks, and all the boys sat on one side and all the girls on the other. When a boy misbehaved, he had to sit on the "girls' side" and vice versa.
By 1897, there were enough students to hire a school teacher, an addition was built and the school divided into a two-room state graded school.
By 1925, the primary room had become too small to accommodate the children. It was a hard decision whether to add on or build a new school, but eventually the decision was made to build and the new school was dedicated on February 22, 1926.
The new building stood on the same site as the old school which was torn down. The new school consisted of two classrooms and a basement. In 1952 another four classrooms were added plus washrooms and office space. Another addition was built in 1964. At that time, the school had nine classrooms, a library, a cafeteria, and a room for physical education in the basement. From 1954 to 1964, enrollment increased from 120 to 250 students.
The next change made to the school was in 1989 when a 6000-square-foot addition was dedicated. The new wing included a library, a computer laboratory, music room, art room, and three new classrooms. The dedication ceremony included a program which featured community members who were descendants of early Stone Bank settlers dressed in period costumes.
In 1995, voters in Stone Bank approved a referendum to build an entirely new school on a 30-acre parcel north of Hwy K and west of Stone Bank Road. Enrollment had grown to 285 students and new classrooms were needed as well as space for new technology. Groundbreaking took place Friday, August 4, 1995 and another page in Stone Bank history was turned.
Students and teachers moved into the new school, our current building in the fall of 1996. Inside the front entry are two columns adorned with clay tiles designed by students and community members. The tile were made during a "clay stomp" event held June 8, 1996.